Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hard Bop Along with a Kennedy Center Recognition – Sonny Rollins’ A Night In the Village Vanguard


I played trumpet for any minute in quality school, but got tired of only learning walking band type stuff… These people never played Kilometers, Bix or Dizzy…

I switched in order to clarinet because my father owned one… I believe I had a fleeting imagine mastering that instrument and so i could move towards the tenor sax.

Didn’t occur. I sucked… Critically. I think my personal parents actually asked me to prevent practicing. Guitar came as well as went… I still know several chords, but I won’t end up being joining a music group anytime soon… Used to do kind of place it out with the actual harmonica, and while I've not played inside a while, I will surely hold my personal there. Recently I obtained a ukulele… I really like it but really should play every day…

The lesson with regard to me… the key… would be to stick with some thing, darn it… I've started lots of things… a large amount of things… I now have to fulfill the dream… total the process… understand the golden ring and also the rainbow. Bring this on 2012!

Sonny Rollins – A Night in the Village Vanguard

Because of Patrick for the actual reminder that Sonny was about the Kennedy Center Respects tonight…

I have experienced the pleasure associated with seeing Sonny Rollins several times… in the old Jazz Bakery performing the standards… from UCLA’s Royce Corridor doing some calypso plus some fusion from their 20th album, Worldwide Warming. The guy is amazing.

He is the opposite side from the coin in the actual discussion I brought up when it comes to Charlie Parker… which eternal question… Will drug use boost the music, the creative process or will it limit it. Clearly it provides early death even though it can encourage notes and pictures, the question is actually, is it worthwhile?

Sonny Rollins might say hell absolutely no.

He was imprisoned for armed thievery in 1950 as well as spent 10 several weeks on Rikers Isle. The two many years later he had been busted for heroin. He was fortunate though and was handed federal assistance within kicking the habit… however he was scared that being away drugs would restrict him musically. He or she was wrong. The actual creative output might sky-rocket.

In 1953 he was using the Modern Jazz Quartet as well as Monk. In 1954 he'd play in the quintet with Kilometers. He was thoroughly clean and he had been shining. Then he used Max Roach… Their Saxophone Colossus arrived on the scene in 1956… as well as in 1957 “he pioneered using bass and percussion (without violin) as complement for his saxophone solos. This texture came into existence known as “strolling”.

This album from 1957 is really a highlight of this… Scott Yanow through AllMusic says ”This CD is usually magical. Sonny Rollins, among jazz’s great tenors, is heard from his peak… Not just did Rollins possess a distinctive sound, but his utilization of time, his underhanded wit, and his boppish however unpredictable style were completely their own by 1957. ”

This can be a man who dropped from the public eye for over 2 yrs to get much better and practice, by playing the actual saxophone alone about the Williamsburg Bridge. Incredible.

This record is actually amazing, full associated with fire and energy. It is what music could be and what music can perform. It will sock you within the gut… but in the easiest way possible. It will grab you through the balls… again, in the easiest way possible. Is there every other way? Okay, indeed, I guess there may be… Guess what happens I mean! And I need not spell out the same for the gals… Guess what happens I am stating.

I do not claim to become an expert upon jazz… perhaps most of the musical intricacies review my head… but I'm moved by it and I love to think I realize it, at least to some extent. The more I listen and find out live, the more I comprehend… the greater I fall within love and value. Certain players whack me away… take me to a different place. Sonny Rollins is some of those magical artists… the musician who will go beyond, who transcends….

No comments:

Post a Comment